The world of atheism is certainly one that has changed or should I say evolved a great deal over the last several years. As long as I can recall atheists routinely were opposed to and outspoken against religion, yet now it seems that atheism has evolved into a religion itself. Actually, atheism has always been a religion just a godless religion because not only is atheism a theological position, but it now has even created a church.
A church for atheists or "a fellowship of unbelievers" now exists. Actually, it was created in 1994. It is the North Texas Church of Freethought located in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex. It's pastor is Dr. Tim Gorski, an Ob/Gyn in Arlington, TX.
I've actually written a Profile on the North Texas Church of Freethought.
And atheism has even evolved to the point of having an atheist evangelist as well. Perhaps it is more accurate to refer to him as an Avangelist though.
Here are some interesting things to note about atheism's evolution:
- 21% of atheists believe in God (Pew Research Poll)
- the creation of atheist churches (North Texas Church of Freethought, Houston Church of Freethought)
- famous atheist Richard Dawkins says aliens may have originated life on Earth, says he is 99% sure there is no God, and supports ad for agnostcism
- Well known atheist journalist says Africa "needs God"
- Atheist Church pastor explains the religion of Freethought
- Atheists create billboards advertising atheism
- Apple comes out with Iphone app for Atheists